8
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    0
    shares
      Are you tired of sifting through news that doesn't interest you?
      Personalize your Karger newsletter today and get only the news that matters to you!

      Sign up

      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found

      Tumor Regression after Photocoagulation of Malignant Melanomas of the Choroid: An Ultrasonographic Study

      research-article

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          Ultrasonography was performed in 24 eyes harboring malignant melanomas of the choroid to study tumor regression after xenon-arc photocoagulation at periodic intervals after each photocoagulation session. Ophthalmoscopically, 20 (83%) eyes revealed a complete regression of the tumor after 3 months to 3 years of treatment. However, ultrasonography revealed complete tumor regression in only 13 (65%) out of these 20 eyes while the remaining 7 (35%9 eyes had a residual tumor prominence of 0.75–1 µs. 14 (70%) out of 20 tumors were completely regressed 1 year after photocoagulation treatment. Most of the eyes revealed complete disappearance of the tumor after 3–5 photocoagulation sessions. Though 4 tumors which did not respond to photocoagulation treatment were located in the central temporal retina within the vascular arcade, no statistically significant difference could be seen between tumor regression and location of the tumor. Complete tumor regression was seen in 4 out of 5 eyes after encircling coagulation alone while 16 out of 19 eyes revealed complete tumor regression after addition of direct treatment of the tumor. Photocoagulation appeared to be a useful tool in the treatment of small choroidal melanomas.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Journal
          OPH
          Ophthalmologica
          10.1159/issn.0030-3755
          Ophthalmologica
          S. Karger AG
          0030-3755
          1423-0267
          1987
          1987
          31 March 2010
          : 194
          : 2-3
          : 119-125
          Affiliations
          aInstitute of Ophthalmology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India; bUniversity Eye Clinic, Essen, FRG
          Article
          309747 Ophthalmologica 1987;194:119–125
          10.1159/000309747
          3302798
          0e6dff5b-8e6f-4f3b-9e71-4220469b9642
          © 1987 S. Karger AG, Basel

          Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug. Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.

          History
          : 03 August 1986
          : 07 August 1986
          Page count
          Pages: 7
          Categories
          Original Paper

          Vision sciences,Ophthalmology & Optometry,Pathology
          Choroidal melanoma,Tumor regression,Ultrasonography,Photocoagulation

          Comments

          Comment on this article