+1 Recommend
1 collections
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found

      Effect of Various Hypothalamic Deafferentations Injuring Different Parts of the GnRH Pathway on Ovulation, GnRH Content of the Median Eminence, and Plasma LH and FSH Levels

      Read this article at

          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.


          Various supra- and retrochiasmatic cuts injuring different parts of the septo-preoptico-infundibular GnRH pathway were made in adult female rats, and their effects on ovulation, median eminence (ME) GnRH content and on plasma LH and FSH levels were studied. Extended retrochiasmatic frontal cut just behind the optic chiasm, or a frontal cut in front of the suprachiasmatic nucleus presumably interrupting the whole GnRH pathway blocked ovulation, led to persistent estrus with polyfollicular ovaries, and reduced the ME GnRH content to 10 and 32%, respectively, expressed in percentage of unoperated control value. Severance of the GnRH pathway on one side or partial interruption of the pathway on the two sides in the retrochiasmatic area did not interfere with ovulation, and the ME GnRH content was 50% or more of the control value. Disconnection of the GnRH fibers coming from the septum resulted in a more than 30% decrease in the GnRH content of the ME, but did not block ovulation. Two separate symmetrical lateral cuts in the suprachiasmatic area leaving intact the presently known GnRH pathway reduced the ME GnRH content to 40% of the intact value, but did not interfere with ovulation. Plasma LH and FSH levels of the animals with different knife cuts were considerably dissociated and there were no apparent correlations between brain interventions and the concentrations of these two hormones in the blood. Our previous findings together with the present data suggest that: (1) half of the GnRH pathway, medial or lateral bundles of the pathway on the two sides are sufficient for ovulation and cyclic gonadotrophic function; (2) persistent estrus develops if the ME GnRH content is below 40% of the control value, and (3) about 60% of the ME GnRH originates outside the preoptic, supra- and retrochiasmatic region. Half of this 60 % may come from the septum and the vertical part of the diagonal band of Broca, the other half from the region in front of the preoptic area. The remaining 40% presumably arises from the preoptic (7–10%), supra- (15–20%) and retrochiasmatic region (8–10%).

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          S. Karger AG
          01 April 2008
          : 44
          : 2
          : 172-183
          Second Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Semmelweis University Medical School, Budapest, Hungary
          124642 Neuroendocrinology 1986;44:172–183
          © 1986 S. Karger AG, Basel

          Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug. Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.

          Page count
          Pages: 12
          Original Paper


          Comment on this article