Background: Peritoneal catheter is the lifeline for the continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) patients. Over the years, obstruction or displacement of the CAPD catheter has been one of the common complications of CAPD. Fluoroscopy-guided wire manipulation or laparoscopic surgery has been developed to manage outflow obstruction. We analyzed the catheter outcome of fluoroscopy-guided wire manipulation or laparoscopic surgery to determine the ultimate benefit of these procedures. Methods: From June 1996 to August 2000, catheter complications were manipulated in 24 patients. Eleven (46%) of these patients were initially managed by guide wire under fluoroscopic control. The remaining 13 (54%) patients were manipulated by laparoscopic surgery. A successful outcome was defined as maintained normal peritoneal catheter function at 30 days after the manipulations. Among the catheters manipulated, 18 (75%) were inserted by nephrologist and 6 (25%) by surgeons at the initiation of CAPD. Tenckhoff double-cuff peritoneal catheters were inserted to all patients. Results: The time elapsed between catheter insertion and manipulation varied from 1 to 60 days with a mean of 11 days. The primary causes of catheter malfunction were kinking in 1 case, omental wrapping with adhesions in 9 cases, and catheter displacements in the remaining 14 cases. Thirty-day catheter function was achieved in 50% (12/24) of initial catheter manipulations, with guide wire under fluoroscopic control (46%, 5/11) and laparoscopic surgery (54%, 7/13). Overall success rate of repeated manipulation was 71% (17 of 24). Conclusion: The successful outcome in repairing of the malfunctioning CAPD catheters could be increased by the combination of fluoroscopy-guided wire manipulation and laparoscopic surgery.