+1 Recommend
1 collections
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found

      The Effects of Testicular Denervation on Spermatogenesis in the Sprague- Dawley Rat

      Read this article at

          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.


          In the rat, regression of spermatogenesis during the chronic stages of spinal cord injury (SCI) occurs in the presence of normal function of the pituitary-testis hormone axis, thus suggesting that nonendocrine mechanisms might be involved. The current study examined whether disruption of neural input to the testis contributes to the cascade that leads to the regression of spermatogenesis. Four weeks after denervation of the superior spermatic nerve (SSN), testis weight was 25% lower (p < 0.01) than that of the contralateral sham-operated testis. Defects in spermatogenesis including phagocytosis of mature spermatids, vacuolization of spermatid nuclei, delayed spermiation and incomplete cellular associations were observed in >60% of the tubules. In the remaining 30–40% of tubules, the seminiferous epithelium was severely regressed. While cutting the inferior spermatic nerve (ISN) alone did not affect spermatogenesis significantly, it enhanced the effect of SSN denervation on both spermatogenesis and testis weight (p < 0.01). Spermatogenesis was totally regressed in the SSN/ISN-denervated testes. At this time, quantitatively normal spermatogonial proliferation was maintained in SSN- or ISN-denervated testes. Twelve weeks after surgery, regression of the seminiferous epithelium characterized by absence of proliferating spermatogonia, while undifferentiating spermatogonia were present, was observed in all SSN-denervated testes. At this time, regression of the seminiferous epithelia also occurred in >30% of the tubules in ISN-denervated testes. At both times, serum follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone and testosterone levels were normal and >60% of normal testicular testosterone concentrations were maintained in the denervated testes. These results indicate that disruption of neural input to the testis is not a cause for the decrease in spermatogonial proliferation during the acute phase of SCI, but may contribute to the chronic effects of SCI on spermatogenesis.

          Related collections

          Most cited references 1

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: not found
          • Article: not found

          Identification and characterization of a β1-adrenergic receptor in the rat sertoli cell


            Author and article information

            S. Karger AG
            July 2000
            23 July 2000
            : 72
            : 1
            : 37-45
            aVeterans Affairs Medical Center, East Orange, N.J., bDepartment of Surgery, Section of Urology and cNeuroscience, UMD-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, N.J., USA
            54569 Neuroendocrinology 2000;72:37–45
            © 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel

            Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug. Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.

            Page count
            Figures: 5, Tables: 1, References: 55, Pages: 9
            Prolactin and Reproductive Hormones


            Comment on this article