1
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found

      The Angina Pectoris Threshold Heart Rate as a Prognostic Sign

      ,

      Cardiology

      S. Karger AG

      Angina pectoris threshold, Prognostic sign, Subjective maximal exercise test

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          The aim of this study was to investigate the prognostic value of angina pectoris threshold heart rate (ATHR) in 300 patients aged 27–65 years, suffering from typical angina pectoris and being under follow-up at our institute for at least 5 years. A multistage symptom-limited ergometric test was performed in all examinees at least twice. The patients were divided into two groups. Group 1 consisted of all those whose ATHR was 120 beats and above; group 2 with ATHR below 120 beats/min. The mean age of group 1 was 47 ± 5.8 years; the mean age of group 2 was 51 ± 5.9 years. In group 1, in 47.3% the ATHR remained unchanged within the 5-year follow-up. Of the remaining 52.7% with changes (representing 100% with changes) 19.4% died from a cardiac cause within the period of follow-up. In group 2, 56.1 % remained without ATHR changes within follow-up. In 43.9% with changes (representing 100% with changes), 48% died of a cardiac cause. Similar findings were obtained when the symptom-limited work load was taken into consideration. In group 1, which performed less than 50 W, 44.6% did not reveal any change during follow-up. In 55.4% (representing 100% with changes) 47.8% died of a cardiac cause. In group 2, patients who performed between 50 to 100 W, 52.5% were without changes. In 47.5% (representing 100% with changes) 21 % died of a cardiac cause. In group 3, patients performed more than 100 W, 54.3% were without changes, while in 45.7% (representing 100% with changes) 19.2% died of a cardiac cause. Our findings clearly indicate the significance of the ATHR as a prognostic sign.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Journal
          CRD
          Cardiology
          10.1159/issn.0008-6312
          Cardiology
          S. Karger AG
          978-3-8055-3437-6
          978-3-318-00026-9
          0008-6312
          1421-9751
          1981
          1981
          07 November 2008
          : 68
          : Suppl 2
          : 78-83
          Affiliations
          Cardiac Evaluation and Rehabilitation Institute and Tel-Aviv University Medical School, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
          Article
          173321 Cardiology 1981;68:78–83
          10.1159/000173321
          7317907
          © 1981 S. Karger AG, Basel

          Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug. Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.

          Page count
          Pages: 6
          Categories
          Prognostic Value

          Comments

          Comment on this article