Blog
About

7
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: not found

      Structural basis for species-specific differences in the phosphorylation of Na,K-ATPase by protein kinase C.

      The Journal of Biological Chemistry

      Amino Acid Sequence, Swine, Species Specificity, metabolism, Sodium-Potassium-Exchanging ATPase, Rats, physiology, Protein Kinase C, Phosphorylation, Peptide Mapping, Molecular Sequence Data, Humans, Dogs, Animals

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          There is considerable evidence that protein kinases play a role in regulation of the activity of the Na,K-ATPase, but the characteristics of direct kinase phosphorylation of Na,K-ATPase subunits are still not well understood. There are 36 sites that could qualify as protein kinase C motifs in rat alpha 1. Here we have used protein fragmentation with trypsin to localize the site of phosphorylation of the rat Na,K-ATPase alpha 1 subunit to within the first 32 amino acids of the N terminus and then used direct sequencing of the phosphorylated protein to determine which of two candidate serine residues was modified. The result was that at most 25% of the 32P was found on Ser-11, a site that is well conserved in Na,K-ATPase alpha 1 subunits. The remaining 75% or more of the 32P was found on Ser-18, a site that is absent in many Na,K-ATPase alpha subunit sequences. This accounts for the observation that dog and pig alpha 1 subunits can be phosphorylated by protein kinase C only to much lower levels than can rat alpha 1. It is also likely to be relevant to other known species-specific effects of protein kinase C on Na,K-ATPase.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Journal
          7775468

          Comments

          Comment on this article