Blog
About

17
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: not found

      Functional outcomes of patients with advanced pyriform sinus cancer treated with extended near-total laryngopharyngectomy and free fasciocutaneous flap reconstruction.

      European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology

      Treatment Outcome, Voice Quality, pathology, physiopathology, surgery, Cohort Studies, Carcinoma, Squamous Cell, Deglutition, Free Tissue Flaps, Humans, Hypopharyngeal Neoplasms, Laryngectomy, Male, Middle Aged, Neoplasm Staging, Pharyngectomy, Pyriform Sinus, Recovery of Function, Retrospective Studies, Adult, Aged

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          The objective of this study was to evaluate the functional results in patients with advanced pyriform sinus cancer treated with extended near-total laryngopharyngectomy (ENTLP) and free fasciocutaneous flap reconstruction. We reviewed the medical records of patients with pyriform sinus cancer who were treated at Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, a tertiary medical center in Taiwan, between June 1998 and December 2008. This retrospective study enrolled the patients who had a stage III or IV pyriform sinus cancer and was surgically treated with ENTLP and free fasciocutaneous flap reconstruction. Thirteen patients meeting the inclusion criteria were enrolled. Three patients had stage III cancer, and ten had IVa. All were men with the age distribution ranged from 38 to 75 years. The average length of hospitalization was 19 days. Twelve (92.3%) patients could develop shunt speech postoperatively, and eight (61.5%) patients used shunt speech for their routine conversation. Eleven (84.6%) patients could ultimately return to an oral diet; the remaining two (15.4%) patients stayed dependent on a feeding tube for part or all of their nutrition. Two patients died from distant metastases, and one patient died from complications of postoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy, while the other ten patients survived until the last follow-up without evidence of locoregional tumor recurrence. In conclusion, in the surgical treatment of patients with locally advanced pyriform sinus cancer, ENTLP and free fasciocutaneous flap reconstruction is an oncologically safe, voice-conserving, and prosthesis-free procedure which offers satisfactory functional speech and swallowing outcomes.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Journal
          10.1007/s00405-010-1311-2
          20582549

          Comments

          Comment on this article