+1 Recommend
1 collections
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      Efficiency in the use of phosphorus by common bean genotypes


      Read this article at

          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.


          Common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) is frequently grown in weathered soils with low phosphorus (P) availability, and this is one of the main limitations on its production. This study aimed to assess 20 common bean genotypes in a hydroponic system to select the best P concentration for inducing nutritional deficiency and to classify the genotypes in terms of nutrient utilization efficiency. The concentrations of P applied were 8.00, 4.00, 2.00 and 0.05 mg L¹. At 21 days, in the plot subjected to an application of the most severe stress, the 0.05 mg L¹ dose of P, had smaller plant size and early leaf abscission was observed. The 4.00 mg L¹ dose of P was the most efficient in inducing stress for discrimination of cultivars in terms of efficiency of use of P. The following genotypes: IAPAR 81, Carioca Comum, IAC Carioca Tybatã, IAC Imperador and G 2333 stood out as being efficient and responsive to P, while the two cultivars DOR 364 and Jalo Precoce were the most inefficient and unresponsive.

          Related collections

          Most cited references 31

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: found
          • Article: not found

          How do plants achieve tolerance to phosphorus deficiency? Small causes with big effects.

          Genotypic differences in phosphorus (P) uptake from P-deficient soils may be due to higher root growth or higher external root efficiency (micrograms of P taken up per square centimeter of root surface area). Both factors are highly interrelated because any additional P provided by externally efficient roots will also stimulate root growth. It will be necessary to separate both factors to identify a primary mechanism to formulate hypotheses on pathways and genes causing genotypic differences in P uptake. For this purpose, a plant growth model was developed for rice (Oryza sativa) grown under highly P-deficient conditions. Model simulations showed that small changes in root growth-related parameters had big effects on P uptake. Increasing root fineness or the internal efficiency for root dry matter production (dry matter accumulated per unit P distributed to roots) by 22% was sufficient to increase P uptake by a factor of three. That same effect could be achieved by a 33% increase in external root efficiency. However, the direct effect of increasing external root efficiency accounted for little over 10% of the 3-fold increase in P uptake. The remaining 90% was due to enhanced root growth as a result of higher P uptake per unit root size. These results demonstrate that large genotypic differences in P uptake from a P-deficient soil can be caused by rather small changes in tolerance mechanisms. Such changes will be particularly difficult to detect for external efficiency because they are likely overshadowed by secondary root growth effects.
            • Record: found
            • Abstract: not found
            • Article: not found

            Genetic mapping of basal root gravitropism and phosphorus acquisition efficiency in common bean

             H Liao,  X Yan,  G. Rubio (2004)
              • Record: found
              • Abstract: not found
              • Article: not found

              Phosphorus nutrition of terrestrial plants


                Author and article information

                Scientia Agricola
                Sci. agric. (Piracicaba, Braz.)
                São Paulo - Escola Superior de Agricultura "Luiz de Queiroz" (Piracicaba, SP, Brazil )
                June 2014
                : 71
                : 3
                : 232-239
                [02] Teresina PI orgnameEmbrapa Mid-North orgdiv1UEP Brazil
                [01] Campinas SP orgnameAgronomic Institute orgdiv1Center of Grain and Fiber orgdiv2Commom Bean Breeding Program Brazil
                S0103-90162014000300008 S0103-9016(14)07100300008

                This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

                Page count
                Figures: 0, Tables: 0, Equations: 0, References: 24, Pages: 8
                Product Information: website
                Genetics and Plant Breeding


                Comment on this article