34
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      Syncope Associated with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning due to Narghile Smoking

      case-report

      Read this article at

      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          Narghile smoking is a traditional method of tobacco use, and it has been practiced extensively for 400 years. Traditionally, narghile smoking is a matter of culture mainly in Middle East, Asia, and Africa. In recent years, its use as a social activity has increased worldwide, especially among young people. Narghile smoking is an unusual cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. Narghile smoking, compared to cigarette smoking, can result in more smoke exposure and greater levels of carbon monoxide. We present an acute syncope case of a 19-year-old male patient who had carbon monoxide poisoning after narghile smoking.

          Related collections

          Most cited references5

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: found
          • Article: not found

          Case of carbon monoxide poisoning after smoking shisha

          Carbon monoxide poisoning has been reported as a result of exposure to various sources of smoke, such as car exhaust fumes, home water heaters and tobacco smoke. We describe a case of symptomatic, moderately severe carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in a young Mediterranean man after smoking a waterpipe, or shisha. This case highlights the importance of considering carbon monoxide exposure in patients presenting with non-specific neurological symptoms to the emergency department (ED).
            Bookmark
            • Record: found
            • Abstract: found
            • Article: not found

            Carbon monoxide poisoning in narghile (water pipe) tobacco smokers.

            Narghile (water pipe, hookah, shisha, goza, hubble bubble, argeela) is a traditional method of tobacco use. In recent years, its use has increased worldwide, especially among young people. Narghile smoking, compared to cigarette smoking, can result in more smoke exposure and greater levels of carbon monoxide (CO). We present an acutely confused adolescent patient who had CO poisoning after narghile tobacco smoking. She presented with syncope and a carboxyhemoglobin level of 24% and was treated with hyperbaric oxygen. Five additional cases of CO poisoning after narghile smoking were identified during a literature search, with carboxyhemoglobin levels of 20 to 30%. Each patient was treated with oxygen supplementation and did well clinically. In light of the increasing popularity of narghile smoking, young patients presenting with unexplained confusion or nonspecific neurologic symptoms should be asked specifically about this exposure, followed by carboxyhemoglobin measurement.
              Bookmark
              • Record: found
              • Abstract: not found
              • Article: not found

              Narghile (hookah) smoking and carboxyhemoglobin levels.

                Bookmark

                Author and article information

                Journal
                Case Rep Emerg Med
                Case Rep Emerg Med
                CRIM.EM
                Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
                Hindawi Publishing Corporation
                2090-648X
                2090-6498
                2013
                25 March 2013
                : 2013
                : 796857
                Affiliations
                Department of Emergency Medicine, Erciyes University Medical School, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
                Author notes

                Academic Editors: L. Bojić, N. Kikuchi, F. Natale, and M. J. Ramdass

                Article
                10.1155/2013/796857
                3621151
                23585971
                c1f8a567-6818-456d-a59a-e2127b1e992f
                Copyright © 2013 Seda Ozkan et al.

                This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

                History
                : 29 January 2013
                : 6 March 2013
                Categories
                Case Report

                Emergency medicine & Trauma
                Emergency medicine & Trauma

                Comments

                Comment on this article