Blog
About

10
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      Natural abundance of 13C in tropical grasses from the INPA, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia, herbarium Translated title: Abundância natural de isótopos de carbono em gramíneas tropicais do herbário do INPA, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisa da Amazônia

      Read this article at

      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          The stable carbon isotopic composition of 165 grass species was determined with the objective of verifying their photosynthetic pathway (C3 and C4). The samples, taken from the INPA herbarium, were mainly collected in the North of Brazil. Approximately 60% of the species proved to be of the C4 type, with <FONT FACE="Symbol">d</font> 13C values ranging from -13.6 to -9.5‰, while the remainder 40% belonged to the C3 type, with values ranging from -34.7 to -23.4‰. This relatively high proportion of C3 species is probably due to the high relative humidity of the sites where the species were collected.

          Translated abstract

          Foi determinada a composição isotópica natural do carbono em 165 espécies de gramíneas encontradas no herbário do INPA com o intuito de se determinar o tipo de ciclo fotossintético (C3 ou C4). Aproximadamente 60% das espécies foram classificadas como sendo do tipo C4, com valores de <FONT FACE="Symbol">d</font> 13C variando entre -13,6 a - 9,5‰, enquanto as restantes 40% foram classificadas como sendo espécies do tipo C3, com valores de <FONT FACE="Symbol">d</font> 13C variando de -34,7 a -23,4‰. A proporção relativamente elevada de espécies do tipo C3, provavelmente, é conseqüência da umidade relativa alta encontrada nos locais em que as espécies foram coletadas.

          Related collections

          Most cited references 43

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: not found
          • Article: not found

          Fluxes of carbon dioxide and water vapour over an undisturbed tropical forest in south-west Amazonia

            Bookmark
            • Record: found
            • Abstract: not found
            • Article: not found

            The ecological distribution of C4 and C3 grasses in the Hawaiian Islands

              Bookmark
              • Record: found
              • Abstract: not found
              • Article: not found

              Vegetation Effects on the Isotopic Composition of Atmospheric CO2at Local and Regional Scales: Theoretical Aspects and a Comparison Between Rain Forest in Amazonia and a Boreal Forest in Siberia

                Bookmark

                Author and article information

                Contributors
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Journal
                rbb
                Brazilian Journal of Botany
                Braz. J. Bot.
                Sociedade Botânica de São Paulo (São Paulo )
                1806-9959
                April 1999
                : 22
                : 1
                : 44-51
                Affiliations
                [1 ] Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Científicas (IVIC) Venezuela
                [2 ] Universidade de São Paulo Brazil
                [3 ] Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia (INPA) Brazil
                Article
                S0100-84041999000100007
                10.1590/S0100-84041999000100007
                Product
                Product Information: website
                Categories
                PLANT SCIENCES

                Plant science & Botany

                C4, Amazon, <FONT FACE=Symbol>d</font> 13C, photosynthetic, cycle, C3, Grasses

                Comments

                Comment on this article