21
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: not found

      Occurrence of sulphate-reducing bacteria in human faeces and the relationship of dissimilatory sulphate reduction to methanogenesis in the large gut.

      The Journal of applied bacteriology
      Breath Tests, Desulfovibrio, isolation & purification, metabolism, Ethnic Groups, Euryarchaeota, Feces, microbiology, Gram-Negative Anaerobic Bacteria, Great Britain, Humans, Intestine, Large, Methane, biosynthesis, Oxidation-Reduction, South Africa, Sulfates

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          Sulphate-reducing bacteria (SRB) were enumerated in 40 faecal samples obtained from two different human populations in the United Kingdom and rural South Africa. Species able to metabolize acetate, lactate, propionate, butyrate, H2/CO2, succinate, pyruvate, valerate, ethanol and a glutamate/serine/alanine mixture were found in faeces from both populations. Although a variety of nutritionally and morphologically distinct species of SRB belonging to the genera Desulfotomaculum, Desulfobacter, Desulfomonas and Desulfobulbus were identified, Desulfovibrio types always predominated. Significant numbers of SRB were present only in faecal samples from subjects whose breath methane excretion was low or undetectable. Reduced or absent methanogenesis in the presence of SRB was confirmed in fermentation studies with faecal slurries. Fourteen of 20 (70%) British faecal samples contained SRB and the remainder produced methane. The reverse was the case with 20 rural black South Africans, where only three (15%) of the samples had significant levels of SRB; the remaining 85% produced methane. These results suggest that to a large extent, dissimilatory sulphate reduction and methanogenesis are mutually exclusive in the human large gut.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Comments

          Comment on this article