36
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    0
    shares
       
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      Participatory technology evaluation of malt barley production package at the highlands of North Gondar Zone

      Preprint
      In review
      research-article
        1 , , 1 , 1 , 1
      ScienceOpen Preprints
      ScienceOpen
      Malt Barley, Gondar
      Bookmark

            Abstract

            Currently, the malt and beer industry in Ethiopia has been growing with increasing in beer demand associated with the rise of urbanization, population growth, and the growing inincomes. To fulfill the demand for malt in the country many activities are done but still, only 35 percent of the demand is covered within the country. The remaining 65 percent of malt demand is covered by importing abroad. By considering the huge potential of malt demand in the country; research organizations generate and adopt high yielder quality malt barley varieties. To provide a menu of varieties along with awareness creation about the new promising malt barley varieties to farmers and extension workers; a participatory technology evaluation of malt barley technology activity was conducted in Wogera and Debark districts in 2016. The evaluated varieties were IBON-174, EH-1847, and Holker. To evaluate and create awareness 5 FREG (111 members) were established and organized training and field days for FREG members. Evaluation of the technology was conducted at the early stage and maturity stage of the plant. The FREG members have selected the varieties based on their selection criteria. Based on farmers' selection criteria EH-1847 and IBON-174 got good acceptance. EH-1847 and IBON-174 varieties were given a mean grain yield of 3158kg/ha and 3128kg/ha respectively and also had a cost-benefit ratio of 15286 and 15038 ETB/ha respectively. So EH-1847 and IBON-174 should scale out in the district and the same agroecology areas of the region.

            Content

            Author and article information

            Journal
            ScienceOpen Preprints
            ScienceOpen
            17 April 2022
            Affiliations
            [1 ] Agricultural extension researcher and socioeconomics researcher
            Author notes
            Article
            10.14293/S2199-1006.1.SOR-.PPRIJBG.v1
            76e933f9-fd7b-433f-93b9-2729dded1adb

            This work has been published open access under Creative Commons Attribution License CC BY 4.0 , which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. Conditions, terms of use and publishing policy can be found at www.scienceopen.com .


            The datasets generated during and/or analysed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
            Agriculture
            Malt Barley, Gondar

            Comments

            Comment on this article