336
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
1 collections
    4
    shares
      scite_
       
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found
      Is Open Access

      Well-Being Among Nursing Students: Relationship Between Lifestyle Behaviours, Sleep Quality and Resilience

      Preprint
      In review
      research-article
      1 ,   1 ,
      UnisaRxiv
      UNISA Press
      well-being, nursing students, lifestyle behaviours, sleep quality, resilience
      Bookmark

            Abstract

            Well-being is considered a positive state influenced by one’s mental, physical, emotional and cultural factors. High-level well-being enables a person to live at full potential. In this study, we investigated the level of well-being and its associated factors among nursing students studying at a selected university in Ras Al Khaimah in the United Arab Emirates. A quantitative descriptive study was conducted among undergraduate nursing students enrolled in this university. A convenient sampling technique was used to recruit the participants. Measures included the WHO-5 well-being index, a lifestyle behaviour questionnaire, the Pittsburgh sleep quality index and a brief resilience scale. Nearly two-thirds (65.4%) of the study participants reported good well-being whereas the remaining 34.6% reported low well-being. In general, better well-being was found to be associated with moderate or vigorous physical activity for at least 30 minutes three or more times a week ( p<0.05) and a habit of skipping breakfast ( p<0.05). It was also found to be associated with better subjective sleep quality ( p<0.001), less sleep latency ( p<0.01), fewer sleep disturbances ( p<0.001), and less daytime dysfunction ( p<0.001). These results support the need to improve the well-being of nursing students. We recommend interventions that promote physical activity and sleep quality to improve the well-being of undergraduate nursing students.

            Content

            Author and article information

            Journal
            UnisaRxiv
            UNISA Press
            19 November 2022
            Affiliations
            [1 ] RAK College of Nursing, RAK Medical and Health Sciences University, UAE
            Author notes
            Author information
            https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1707-1142
            https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7041-444X
            Article
            10.25159/UnisaRxiv/000063.v1
            003e373f-f5da-47fa-b89b-43864b1ea4e9

            This work has been published open access under Creative Commons Attribution License CC BY 4.0 , which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. Conditions, terms of use and publishing policy can be found at www.scienceopen.com .

            History
            : 19 November 2022
            : 23 November 2022
            Categories

            The datasets generated during and/or analysed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
            Nursing,Medicine,Neurology
            sleep quality,lifestyle behaviours,well-being,nursing students,resilience

            Comments

            Comment on this article