Blog
About

  • Record: found
  • Abstract: found
  • Article: not found

An easy preparative gel electrophoretic method for targeted depletion of hemoglobin in erythrocyte cytosolic samples.

1 , ,

Electrophoresis

Read this article at

ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
Bookmark
      There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

      Abstract

      Hemoglobin (Hb) approximately constitutes 98% of the protein composition of a red blood cell (RBC), thus masking the remaining 2% which has still to be discovered completely due to the difficulty in its analysis. Here, we proposed a large-scale native gel electrophoresis that effectively tackles this limitation through a novel sample preparation strategy able to concentrate low-abundance species by removing Hb by means of electrophoretic instruments. Clear native PAGE was performed in a gel electrophoresis tube where the run was intermittently interrupted and different fractions were recovered in liquid phase into a collection chamber placed at the end of the tube. In this way, fractions containing multi-protein complexes with different molecular weights were collected in the native form by a simple elution. Red fraction containing Hb multi-protein complexes can be excluded from subsequent analyses, or rather be analyzed separately, reducing therefore the dynamic range of erythrocyte cytosolic protein concentrations and increasing the number of protein identifications. In particular, 838 protein spots in total were detected when fractions were analyzed by 2-D IEF-SDS-PAGE. This depletion method is inexpensive, simple to perform, reproducible and makes it possible to process large amounts of sample (up to 150 mg), thus making it suitable for in-depth proteome investigations. Furthermore, this strategy has the potential to be applied both to native and denatured proteomes of different biological samples.

      Related collections

      Author and article information

      Affiliations
      [1 ] Department of Environmental Sciences, Tuscia University, Viterbo, Italy.
      Journal
      Electrophoresis
      Electrophoresis
      1522-2683
      0173-0835
      Jun 2011
      : 32
      : 11
      21538401
      10.1002/elps.201000659
      Copyright © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.

      Comments

      Comment on this article