+1 Recommend
1 collections
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: found

      Apo(a) Phenotypes and Lp(a) Concentrations in Renal Transplant Patients

      Read this article at

          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.


          Plasma lipoprotein (a) (LP(a)) concentrations are increased in patients with end-stage renal disease. Considering the influence of the apolipoprotein (a) (Apo(a)) polymorphism and the mode of dialysis in this prospective longitudinal study, we compared Lp(a) concentrations before and after the first 6 months of a successful kidney transplantation in 125 recipient patients. Apo(a) phenotyping was performed by using SDS-PAGE and SDS-agarose, isoforms were classified into high molecular weight (HMW) and low molecular weight (LMW). Before the graft, the Lp(a) concentrations were significantly higher in CAPD than in hemodialysis patients (p = 0.021). Six months after transplantation, Lp(a) fell in both treatment groups. This decrease occurred within both LMW and HMW but to a different extent: median relative variations were –35 and –50%, respectively (p = 0.048). Among patients with Lp(a) concentration >30 mg/dl 6 months after transplantation, 74% had LMW Apo(a) isoform while the remaining 26% had HMW isoform. Successful renal transplantation leads rapidly to a correction of Lp(a) concentrations, especially in patients treated with CAPD who have higher Lp(a) levels. The most important factor seems to be the LMW status corresponding to high Lp(a) levels.

          Related collections

          Most cited references 2

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: found
          • Article: not found

          Identification of 34 apolipoprotein(a) isoforms: differential expression of apolipoprotein(a) alleles between American blacks and whites.

          A total of 34 different apo(a) isoforms was identified in a population sample of 806 American Whites and 701 American Blacks by a high resolution SDS-agarose gel electrophoretic method followed by immunoblotting. Among the 1507 individuals tested, 79% revealed double-banded phenotypes and 21% single-banded phenotypes. The frequencies of the apo(a) isoforms differed between American Blacks and Whites (p < 0.001).
            • Record: found
            • Abstract: not found
            • Article: not found

            Hyperlipidemia in adult, pediatric and diabetic renal transplant recipients


              Author and article information

              S. Karger AG
              October 1998
              23 September 1998
              : 80
              : 2
              : 183-187
              Laboratoire de Recherches Néphrologiques, Hôpital Calmette, Lille, France
              45164 Nephron 1998;80:183–187
              © 1998 S. Karger AG, Basel

              Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug. Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.

              Page count
              Tables: 3, References: 25, Pages: 5
              Self URI (application/pdf):
              Original Paper


              Comment on this article