12
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: not found

      Genetic characterization of livestock and human hydatid cyst isolates from northwest Iran, using the mitochondrial cox1 gene sequence.

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisherPubMed
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          Cystic echinococcosis (CE), caused by larval stages of the tapeworm Echinococcus granulosus, is one of the most important zoonoses distributed worldwide. Genotype analysis of the parasite isolates from various hosts is required to better understand the host specificity and transmission routes. The aim of this study was to identify the genotypes of E. granulosus isolated from humans and domestic animals from northwest of Iran (Zanjan Province) using the mitochondrial cox1 gene sequence. A total of 86 hydatid cysts including 49 sheep and 28 cattle isolates from the slaughterhouse and nine human isolates from surgical wards of local hospitals were collected. The isolates were subjected to DNA extraction, PCR amplification, and sequence. Eighty-two (95.35 %) isolates, including 47 sheep, 26 cattle, and all nine human isolates, were determined as G1 genotype, and the remaining four (4.65 %), including two sheep and two cattle isolates, were identified as G3 genotype. From the cox1 sequence data, 13 different haplotypes (10 G1s and three G3s) were detected and named as EGH1-EGH13 (GenBank accession numbers, KP859559-KP859571). EGH1 was the major variant among the haplotypes, and it was identified in 46 (53.49 %) isolates (31 sheep, 14 cattle, and one human). Alignment of the partial cox1 sequences showed 12 point mutations including seven (58.3 %) synonymous and five (41.7 %) non-synonymous substitutions. Based on the results, G1 was the major genotype of E. granulosus in northwest of Iran affecting sheep, cattle, and humans. In addition, a minor group of G3 genotype was found to be circulating in this region.

          Related collections

          Author and article information

          Journal
          Parasitol. Res.
          Parasitology research
          Springer Nature
          1432-1955
          0932-0113
          Dec 2015
          : 114
          : 12
          Affiliations
          [1 ] Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, End of Mahdavi Blvd., Shahrak Karmandan, Zanjan, 45139-56111, Iran.
          [2 ] Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, End of Mahdavi Blvd., Shahrak Karmandan, Zanjan, 45139-56111, Iran. hani@zums.ac.ir.
          Article
          10.1007/s00436-015-4673-y
          10.1007/s00436-015-4673-y
          26280086
          ba037d2f-5f44-4aeb-b538-e7f46a6b8dda
          History

          Genotype,Hydatid cyst,Northwest Iran,Cox1 gene
          Genotype, Hydatid cyst, Northwest Iran, Cox1 gene

          Comments

          Comment on this article