Blog
About

14
views
0
recommends
+1 Recommend
0 collections
    0
    shares
      • Record: found
      • Abstract: found
      • Article: not found
      Is Open Access

      Prevalence and intensity of chronic pain and self-perceived health among elderly people: a population-based study Translated title: Prevalencia, intensidad de dolor crónico y autopercepción de la salud entre ancianos: estudio de base poblacional Translated title: Prevalência, intensidade de dor crônica e autopercepção de saúde entre idosos: estudo de base populacional

      Read this article at

      ScienceOpenPublisher
      Bookmark
          There is no author summary for this article yet. Authors can add summaries to their articles on ScienceOpen to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience.

          Abstract

          OBJECTIVE: to identify the prevalence and intensity of chronic pain among elderly people of the community and to analyze associations with the self-perceived health status.METHOD: cross-sectional study with a populational sample (n=934), conducted through household interviews in the city of Goiânia, Brazil. The intensity of chronic pain (existing for 6 months or more) was measured using a numerical scale (0-10) and the self-perceived health through a verbal scale (very good, good, fair, poor, very poor). For the statistical analysis, the absolute frequency and percentage, CI (95%), Chi-square test, Odds ratio, and regression analysis were used. Significance of 5%.RESULTS: The prevalence of chronic pain was 52.8% [CI (95%):49.4-56.1]; most frequently located in the lower limbs (34.5%) and lumbar region (29.5%); with high or the worst possible intensity for 54.6% of the elderly people. The occurrence of chronic pain was associated with (p<0.0001) a worse self-perception of health (OR=4.2:2.5-7.0), a greater number of chronic diseases (OR=1.8:1.2-2.7), joint disease (OR=3.5:2.4-5.1) and the female gender (OR=2.3:1.7-3.0). A lower intensity of chronic pain was associated with a better self-perception of health (p<0.0001).CONCLUSION: the majority of the elderly people of the community reported chronic pain, of a severe intensity, and located in areas related to movement activities, thus influencing the morbidity and mortality of this population.

          Translated abstract

          OBJETIVO: identificar la prevalencia y la intensidad de dolor crónico entre ancianos de la comunidad y analizar asociaciones con la autopercepción del estado de salud.MÉTODO: estudio transversal, con muestra poblacional (n=934), realizado por medio de entrevista domiciliar, en la ciudad de Goiania, Brasil. La intensidad de dolor crónico (existente hace 6 meses o más) fue medida por medio de escala numérica (0-10) y la autopercepción de la salud por medio de escala verbal (muy buena, buena, regular, mala, muy mala). Para el análisis estadístico se utilizó la frecuencia absoluta y los porcentajes, IC(95%), la prueba del Chi-cuadrado, Odds ratio y el análisis de regresión. Significación de 5%.RESULTADOS: la prevalencia de dolor crónico fue de 52,8% [IC(95%):49,4-56,1]; localizado con mayor frecuencia en miembros inferiores (34,5%) y región lumbar (29,5%); intensidad fuerte o peor posible para 54,6% de los ancianos. La ocurrencia de dolor crónico se asoció (p<0,0001) a peor autopercepción de la salud (OR=4,2:2,5-7,0), número de enfermedades crónicas (OR=1,8:1,2-2,7), enfermedad de las articulaciones (OR=3,5:2,4-5,1) y sexo femenino (OR=2,3:1,7-3,0). La menor intensidad de dolor crónico se asoció a mejor autopercepción de la salud (p<0,0001).CONCLUSIÓN: la mayoría de los ancianos de la comunidad relata dolor crónico, de elevada intensidad, y localizado en regiones relacionadas a las actividades de locomoción, pudiendo influenciar en la morbimortalidad de esa población.

          Translated abstract

          OBJETIVO: identificar a prevalência e a intensidade de dor crônica entre idosos da comunidade e analisar associações com a autopercepção do estado de saúde.MÉTODO: estudo transversal, com amostra populacional (n=934), conduzido por meio de entrevista domiciliar, na cidade de Goiânia, Brasil. A intensidade da dor crônica (existente há 6 meses ou mais) foi mensurada por meio de escala numérica (0-10) e a autopercepção de saúde por meio de escala verbal (muito boa, boa, regular, ruim, muito ruim). Para análise estatística utilizou-se frequência absoluta e porcentual, IC (95%), teste do qui-quadrado, Odds ratio e análise de regressão. Significância de 5%.RESULTADOS: a prevalência de dor crônica foi de 52,8% [IC (95%):49,4-56,1]; localizada com maior frequência em membros inferiores (34,5%) e região lombar (29,5%); de intensidade forte ou pior possível para 54,6% dos idosos. Ocorrência de dor crônica associou-se (p<0,0001) a pior autopercepção de saúde (OR=4,2:2,5-7,0), número de doenças crônicas (OR=1,8:1,2-2,7), doença articular (OR=3,5:2,4-5,1) e sexo feminino (OR=2,3:1,7-3,0). Menor intensidade de dor crônica associou-se a melhor autopercepção de saúde (p<0,0001).CONCLUSÃO: a maioria dos idosos da comunidade relata dor crônica, de elevada intensidade, e localizada em regiões relacionadas às atividades de deslocamento, podendo influenciar na morbimortalidade dessa população.

          Related collections

          Most cited references 56

          • Record: found
          • Abstract: not found
          • Article: not found

          "Mini-mental state". A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.

            Bookmark
            • Record: found
            • Abstract: found
            • Article: not found

            The prevalence of pain and pain interference in a general population of older adults: cross-sectional findings from the North Staffordshire Osteoarthritis Project (NorStOP).

            Although pain is experienced at all ages, there is uncertainty about the pattern of its occurrence in older people. We have investigated the prevalence of three aspects of self-reported pain-occurrence of any recent pain, number and location of pain sites, and interference with daily life-to determine their association with age in older people. A cross-sectional postal survey of all adults aged 50 years and over registered with three general practices (n = 11230) in North Staffordshire using self-complete questionnaires was conducted. Respondents' gender, age, employment status, socio-economic classification, and general health status were gathered to characterise the population under study. The location of any recent pain (past 4 weeks) was recorded on a full-body manikin and pain interference was based on a single question. Completed questionnaires were received from 7878 respondents (adjusted response of 71.3%). The 4-week prevalence of any pain was 72.4%; similar across 10-year age-groups, and higher in females than males. In those with pain the median number of painful areas (from 44) was 6, and 12.5% of the responding population were classified as having widespread pain, both figures similar across age-groups. Most regional pains showed a decline in prevalence in the older age-groups, the exceptions being the lower limb regions (hip, knee, foot). Pain that interfered with daily activities was reported by 3002 (38.1%) respondents overall. There was a clear age-related rise in this prevalence with age up to and including the oldest group. Within each regional pain subgroup, the proportion of people who also reported pain interference rose with age. Our study has provided evidence that increasing age in the elderly population is not associated with any change in the overall prevalence of pain, although, as previous studies have suggested, the pattern of pain prevalence in different body regions does change with age. More importantly the extent to which pain interferes with everyday life increases incrementally with age up to the oldest age-group in the community-dwelling general population.
              Bookmark
              • Record: found
              • Abstract: found
              • Article: not found

              Chronic pain and poor self-rated health.

              Chronic pain is common in Western societies. Self-rated health is an important indicator of morbidity and mortality, but little is known about the relation between chronic pain and self-rated health in the general population. To analyze the association between chronic pain and self-rated health. A questionnaire survey carried out during the spring of 2002 of an age- and sex-stratified population sample of 6500 individuals in Finland aged 15 to 74 years, with a response rate of 71% (N = 4542) after exclusion of those with unobtainable data (n = 38). Chronic pain was defined as pain with a duration of at least 3 months and was graded by frequency: (1) at most once a week; (2) several times a week; and (3) daily or continuously. On the basis of a 5-item questionnaire on self-rated health, individuals were classified as having good, moderate, or poor health. Multinominal logistic regression analysis was used to assess the determinants of health. Analysis included sex, age, education, working status, chronic diseases, and mood. Perceived chronic pain graded by frequency and self-rated health status. The prevalence of any chronic pain was 35.1%; that of daily chronic pain, 14.3%. The prevalence of moderate self-rated health was 26.6% and of poor health, 7.6%. For moderate self-rated health among individuals having chronic pain at most once a week compared with individuals having no chronic pain, the adjusted odds were 1.36 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.05-1.76); several times a week, 2.41 (95% CI, 1.94-3.00); and daily, 3.69 (95% CI, 2.97-4.59). Odds for poor self-rated health were as follows: having chronic pain at most once a week, 1.16 (95% CI, 0.65-2.07); several times a week, 2.62 (95% CI, 1.76-3.90); and daily, 11.82 (95% CI, 8.67-16.10). Chronic pain is independently related to low self-rated health in the general population.
                Bookmark

                Author and article information

                Affiliations
                [1 ] Universidade Federal de Goiás Brazil
                [2 ]
                [3 ] Universidade Federal de Goiás Brazil
                [4 ] Universidade Federal do Triângulo Mineiro Brazil
                [5 ] Universidade Federal de Goiás Brazil
                [6 ] Universidade Federal de Goiás Brazil
                Contributors
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Role: ND
                Journal
                rlae
                Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem
                Rev. Latino-Am. Enfermagem
                Escola de Enfermagem de Ribeirão Preto / Universidade de São Paulo
                1518-8345
                August 2014
                : 22
                : 4
                : 662-669
                S0104-11692014000400662 10.1590/0104-1169.3591.2465

                This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

                Product
                Product Information: SciELO RevOdonto
                Categories
                NURSING

                Comments

                Comment on this article